Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What language to use?

I have been trying to determine what programming language to use for the graphical user interface (GUI) application that I intend to build to automate applying Windows optimizations for View desktops (see my Projects page). I have almost zero experience with programming, so anything I choose will be nearly net-new for me. My dilemma is that I need to be able to write this application with some level of polish before VMworld 2012 in August 2012.

The logic behind the app is fairly basic and it is more about presenting the information to the user in a friendly, easy to use manner. It will include checkboxes and some radio buttons. These "items" will be directly tied to an associated command line text string that, if selected, will then be placed in a text file to be run as a batch file on a Windows desktop to apply the chosen optimizations.

AutoIt:
A gentleman who works for a VMware partner came up to me at PEX 2012 to let me know that he had taken my Windows optimization guide and created a very simple GUI using AutoIt. I started to look at using AutoIt for my purposes, which should work, but it does seem to be fairly limited and may not offer me much room to grow the application in the future. Still, it is something I am considering.

C#:
I started to look at Microsoft Visual C# 2010 because of how powerful that language is, but it seems like the learning curve is a little steeper than I have time for. Still, it is something I would like to learn in the not-too-distant future.

Visual Basic:
I am now looking at Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 to create this application. I have some limited experience with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) from years ago, so I hope this translates into an easier time picking things up. I also found a book that may help me get up to speed fairly quickly and seems to have good ratings from beginners. I realize this will not make me an expert, but it may be just enough to get me started and at least have the correct terms if I go in search of finding help.

Conclusion
For now I think I have settled on Visual Basic and will be heading down that learning path. If it feels too complicated for me to get to where I need to be to reach my deadline, I can always pull out and work with AutoIt or even get someone else to write the thing for me. I hope that I can pull it off myself because it is something I would like to accomplish and have under my belt.

2 comments:

  1. If comfortable with VBA/VBS - HTML Applications (HTA's) provide a combo of web GUI-ness with a scripting language you already know. - @dstafford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks for the reply! I had contemplated trying to make my app using HTML so it could be somewhat universal, but a developer friend of mine noted that, because the intended outcome is a Windows DOS/CMD batch script file, there may be issues with carriage returns and line breaks from operating systems other than Windows.

      I also started going through the book I bought and I think I will be able to complete what I want in time. Once I have the first release under my belt I will reassess and see if it makes sense to use/learn something different.

      Delete